Thursday 7 February 2013

KINDNESS, ONTARIO



      I consider myself a very blessed and fortunate survivor.  I moved here from a larger city in the beautiful west to this little piece of heaven 4 years ago.  For the sake of privacy let's nickname my little city here 'Kindness'.  If a vote were taken in this country for the top 10 friendliest places, Kindness would be among them!

      I've always been somewhat of a loner - painting, writing and reading my evenings and weekends away.  Now with a disability, I'm missing that human contact from the office or a workplace in general so I have to push myself out the door sometimes to shop with my daughter, go to a movie or visit with friends. 

     I guess I would consider myself a bit of a clumsy and artistic oddball at times, however, I'm told that I am likable and I know that I worry about everyone (to a fault).   But it's also important to have friends and family that look out for you.  We need to feel cared for and appreciated for the good things we do and are.  These are the people we have deep talks with, laugh with and trust to hold us safely in their hearts. 

      I have family here and have made good friends as well as many wonderful acquaintances.  We are very blessed to live in a peaceful country and it is up to each of us to weed out those who might pessimistic, judgemental or simply non-affirming toward us or our fellow human beings.   Kindness, compassion, good will toward others - such necessities for the smooth humming of life.

      In September, a childhood friend visited.  We have gone lengths of 10 years without seeing each other and that is certainly because of distance, but as human beings we have our own families, move around the world and make lives of our own.  That week was as if time hadn't elapsed at all.  She still had the same, crazy sense of humour, we still shed tears over the ups and downs in our lives and we truly listened to each other..... and oh, the memories!  

      Other friends and family from the prairies, from other parts of this province and from the southern U.S. are also greatly missed.  But they are accessible by email and Facebook.  So we make do and communicate in whatever ways we can.

      In Sept of 2010 we started a local social group for survivors of brain injury.  We meet one afternoon a week for coffee, engage in discussions, play board games or contribute to potluck luncheons.  On outings we might go bowling, to the park for picnics or to a pottery studio.  We boast a baker or two, a former rugby player, university student and hockey player. There are two artists in the group and we have taken in galleries and projects they've been involved with.  Currently we are creating a video to be used at an ABI Conference and one of our group members who has acting experience has been of invaluable assistance in the making of it.  Among a group of about15 members, we are all vastly different people and uniquely affected by our injuries. 

      Of great importance though, is how much we are all alike.  We share similarities that range from adversity to interests to hopes and wants.  Everyone deserves community and friendship and as survivors we find that here.

       I am not my brain injury.  I do have one, though.  My friends understand the difference and that is why I love them so.  Ah, Kindness!  What a lovely little city!

1 comment:

  1. Correction:
    RE: We boast a baker or two, a former rugby player, university football player.... I know several of the guys in the group played hockey for fun but I had meant football :P

    ReplyDelete